Wednesday, February 28, 2007

I Did It ...

No I did not finish my chapter. But I did reserve my copy of J.K. Rowling's final book in the Harry Potter series, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, due out on July 21, 2007. I wasn't a true Harry Potter fan when Book 1 was released. As a matter of fact, I didn't become an avid reader and fan until Book 3. The reason? I had heard over the blogs that a Christian fundamentalist group was staging an anti-Harry Potter rally somewhere in Philadelphia. That the book was heretical and blasphemous and yadda yadda. The rally ended with a book burning of J.K. Rowling's works.

Now, I don't care much about anyone's religious affiliation. I grew up Catholic and I was educated by Jesuits in high school. I'm not a devout Catholic like others, but I do recognize and live with its influence.

But of all the things anyone could ever do, book burning is a huge no-no. It's anti-intellectual, and fascist. But, in a way, I'm glad because I've always found that 99.9% of whatever organized religion condemns, I will generally love especially if it's coming from the Catholic Church. And I love reading J.K. Rowling's fantastic world of Harry Potter.

0 comments: