Wednesday, November 12, 2008

49er Faithful

I waited a couple of days before posting this thought, but watching my hometown favorites, the SF 49ers, lose their match against the Cardinals in the last 2 seconds of the game on the 2 yard line from a game winning touchdown, was unbearable to endure. To have a win come so close and then to watch it fall apart ... well ... no words can capture my utter disbelief. And not to mention the fact that I do not receive 49er game coverage because I'm in Iowa so it makes following their season a bit more difficult.

I still have very high hopes for the new interim coach Mike Singletary and offensive coach Mike Mart. I think their championship experience is the start of a new era for a return of 49er supremacy in the NFL.

But not yet.

I do like Singletary's offensive philosophy: a hard hitting aggressive strategy that the 49ers haven't had in a very long time. Under the late Bill Walsh, the "West Coast" offense of finesse was the strategy that propelled the 49ers into victory with Joe Montana, Dwight Clark, Jerry Rice, Steve Young, and Roger Craig leading the way. Likewise, we had a powerful defense with the likes of Ronnie Lott and the infamous Bill Romanowski as the hardest hitters around.

But that time is over. It's Singletary's time and he introduces what the 49ers have sorely needed since those championship days: fearlessness.

The remaining season will still be a tough time, but like the 49er Faithful, we're optimistic that the good times will come again.

0 comments: