Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Polytechnique

I just came across this trailer about the 1989 massacre of fourteen female students in Montreal's Polytechnique school. It's stirring quite a lot of controversy for a number of reasons especially when the government did not pursue an investigation into the tragedy which left a number of unanswered questions.

Personally, I don't know if I can watch it. I wonder if part of the controversy stems from what the movie is as opposed to what it's representing. I wonder if my reluctance has to do with the fact that it's a fictionalized account based on a real event and not a documentary. I seem to think that watching a documentary alleviates my concerns because there is an attempt to capture a truth, while a fictionalized narrative might exploit or sensationalize the tragedy unnecessarily. I know I hated watching The Matthew Shepherd Story and I refuse to watch all the movies about the 9/11 tragedy. But I was more than willing to watch documentaries of them all. I just don't know about this one.


1 comments:

DocsforChange said...

I share your concerns about drama versus documentary.
Have you seen the Montreal Massacre follow up documentary MARKER OF CHANGE? I'd recommend it to anyone who plans to see, or not see, the drama Polytechnique.
MARKER includes some news footage from Dec 6, 1989 and interviews with some of the slain women's families, but focuses on the seven year struggle by a band of Vancouver women to build something permanent, something loving in remembrance - Canada's national monument to the 14 women. Action packed, thoughtful, moving, even healing. Includes a discussion guide; so great for inspiring conversation for all ages. Won some awards. Available from www.movingimages.ca