Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Bullshit

An exchange with a former student yesterday about failing to take care of his incomplete, started my day on a less than enthusiastic note. Literally, the moment I stepped foot on campus, he pops out of nowhere to talk about this nonsense.

Student: Hey! Did you get my email?

Me: No. Did you get mine? (I smell bullshit)

Student: Yeah, I did. Huh? You didn't get mine? I sent it a couple of days ago with my paper. I think there might be something wrong with my workplace's computer.

Me: Is that so? (Yep, it's fresh bullshit)

Student: Yeah, I should talk to the tech guy about it.

Me: Yeah, you should. You should just use your CCA email account. It never fails. (My turn to bullshit)

Student: Oh. OK. Soooo ...

Me: Yeah? (More?)

Student: So I should send it again?

Me: Yes, if you don't want your incomplete to be changed into a failing grade.

Student: Oh. OK.

Me: As soon as your email account is fixed, forward your original email from your SENT folder that has the time/date stamp. (Here, young lad, have some of my bullshit)

Student: (puzzled look) You mean, the time/date stamp on my paper?

Me: No, I mean there's a backup of every email that you send in a folder called "SENT" or "SENT MAIL." Go there and you'll find your original email with your paper. It has a time/date stamp confirming when you sent it. It's a default setting and it's there for instances like this when something unexpected happens. It's a good thing too in your case otherwise you'd be in trouble. (Smile at my bullshit)

Student: (visibly stunned) Oh. OK.

Me: OK, I got to get ready for class. But get that to me ASAP. And good to see you again. (I love bullshit)

0 comments: