Saturday, November 11, 2006

Quitting WoW

I really like this article about Warcraft, its design as an immense time sink, and the social alienation it engenders. I know there is such a thing akin to game addiction, but the article provides a solid personal account.

I just left WoW permanently. I was a leader in one of the largest and most respected guilds in the world, a well-equipped and well-versed mage, and considered myself to have many close friends in my guild. Why did I leave? Simple: Blizzard has created an alternate universe where we don't have to be ourselves when we don't want to be. From my vantage point as a guild decision maker, I've seen it destroy more families and friendships and take a huge toll on individuals than any drug on the market today, and that means a lot coming from an ex-club DJ.

0 comments: