Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Breathing a Sigh of Relief

It took a few days after my interview on Monday but I am relieved that it's over. The massive time in preparation from Thursday to Monday was exhausting but I felt it paid off. My answers were on the mark and I got a really positive sense of the committee. It just took me a few days to recover and actually get back to finishing my dissertation.

The minutes before the interview was a different story. I was obsessed with details, rehearsing my answers, and monitoring my tone. I was a nervous wreck right up to the last second. But when the interview started, my answers flowed, we were laughing, and just having a really positive conversation. They asked about my teaching, my thoughts about diversity, what a class would look like, and what I would teach for a senior seminar. I then asked about their department, working with the students, and life in Iowa. At the end, I felt really confident and that I put my best foot forward.

Now the long drawn out part. The committee told me that this is the first of two rounds, the phone interview being the first. I think I'm one of ten people at this stage. The second round is the campus visit that will take place two weeks later and I'm assuming it'll be with two to four finalists. So until then, it's the waiting game for me with hopefully some good news for me.

0 comments: