Friday, February 29, 2008

R.I.P.

I was able to finally catch the latest episode of my favorite police crime drama, The Wire, this evening. And I am utterly speechless at the death of Omar Little. He didn't go out in a blaze of gunfire by the police or Marlo's guns. He didn't overdose on drugs because that was not Omar's style. Many a time an attempt on his life was made by the toughest gangsters and he escaped them all. Until he was taken down by a corner kid no older than 12 years old while buying a pack of cigarettes at the store.

The Baltimore Sun didn't report his death. His story was pushed aside for a building fire. His body was even mistagged only to be corrected by the coroner, thus ending the episode and the man whose cheerful whistle sparked terror in the neighborhood where he walked the streets.

A vengeance unsettled.

R.I.P. Omar Little.

Here for HBO's discussion thread.

0 comments: