Monday, April 14, 2008

Drumroll Please ...

At 1pm, Monday, I successfully defended my dissertation!!!

It was a two hour meeting with two of my committee members on conference call, my third committee was present as well as two of my best friends attending. My defense began with a 20 minute overview of my dissertation that covered some of the main topics and how it raised larger questions. The one thing that really struck me was how each of them in turn praised my work, loved my methodological approach, and indicated many times that my work was a major contribution to cultural studies and more importantly agency and resistance. For once, in a long while, I haven't felt like my work was anything of consequence yet within two hours they made me feel like I was on top of the world. It was an odd feeling to be congratulated in this way after spending so many years agonizing over my research. But this moment was the first time that I felt like I was am an intellectual equal.

I have some minor revisions to my introduction and conclusion, but they all urged to get it done ASAP and they will sign me off. After so many years, I am just a step closer to finishing.

0 comments: