Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Last Lecture

It just occurred to me that my last lecture for GMU officially ended today. Next Wednesday is the final exam and hopefully I'll be able to turn in final grades a few days later. Surprisingly, I've had very few complaints with this class. I still have the usual slackers and there were times when I felt my lectures could have been tighter. But overall, it was a good semester.

I remember my last day at Loyola Marymount University and Santa Monica College. I did feel a sense of loss as if my work with students was unfinished and incomplete. I have that feeling again with the students at GMU ... at least, the ones who matter ... which is a small minority ... which seems to be consistent every semester ... Anyways ...

But there's also this feeling of relief that this semester, and my time at GMU and living in Washington, DC, is almost over. It would too cliche to say "I'll be starting a new chapter." Geez that sounds really sappy. I think it's closure that best describes my state of being; maybe, a clean break and a real desire to just move on and see what else is out there. A very good friend of mine in grad school once said at the completion of her qualifying exams, "I am totally done with this place."

Yup!

0 comments: