Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Grades Are Done!

Final grades were submitted and I am officially done for the semester. I had about four rounds of grading and adjustments for my second class. It wasn't easy, but I think it's fair for everyone.

Now I can take the rest of the day day to clean up the house, do the laundry, pack my bags because tomorrow, Wednesday, we'll be flying out to San Francisco for ten days to see my family and friends.

It just occurred to me that I have a section to write for the departmental review ...

... two articles to revise for publications ...

... four more applications to send out ...

... two conference papers to write ...

... three syllabi to develop ...

... a department website to revamp ...

... and a list of Asian American books to write up for the students.

Did I forget anything else?

UPDATE (10:42pm):
It just occurred to me how different the grading system is at Grinnell College. At GMU, there was a pull down menu that lists all our options from "A+" to "F" to even some specialized ones such as "SA" which is short for "Stopped Attending." I vaguely remember over a dozen choices. Grinnell's system does not have a drop down menu. In fact, it's just a fill-in box. So it made me wonder what else could I put there? How about the letter "Q"? Or numbers like "6" or the ever popular "7"? How about a combination of letters and numbers like "L33t"? They all seem perfectly acceptable. I just find it hilarious when thinking about who'll be reading it like the Registrar's Office and, of course, the students themselves. They might collectively think, "WTH was this guy smoking?!?" And I would say, "I wish I was! But I just wanted to know what would happen."

0 comments: