Monday, October 16, 2006

God Opposes Minimum Wage

I got this political ad from the Stop 42 campaign, a group opposing a measure to increase minimum wage in Colorado. The ballot calls for an increase of the state’s minimum wage from $5.15 to $6.85, a very modest adjustment for inflation.

And God disagrees with this?

The ad shows Moses asking for “divine intervention” and God responds, “We can’t let the people make this mistake. Go. Spread the word. Vote no on 42!”

At this point I’m suppose to say something insightful about the relationship between religion and politics, and media representations. Or even the economic impact of raising the minimum wage.

But somehow I just can’t take this seriously.

I am thinking, however, in the spirit of equality, that there ought to be an ad depicting Satan and his minions supporting Amendment 42. Y’know, the whole pitchforks, fire and brimstone campaign. I think it would be quite spectacular if you use the majestic Rocky Mountain range as the backdrop.

Sometimes I think it’s better to just sit back and watch the show.

0 comments: