Saturday, December 2, 2006

Dissertating Daze ... Again

Yikes! I can't believe it's already December!

Not good. Not good at all. Final exams are around the corner for my students and I need to finish my chapter. I've read quite a few court cases from Texas v. Johnson (1989) to Terminiello v. Chicago (1949) in trying to understand the precedent and legal history behind Virginia v. Black (2003) which is to be the subject of my last chapter. But in reading one case I come up with a few more to look up, and not to mention I've accumulated over two dozen more law articles to read. I think I'm in danger of following up on too many tangents and not knowing when to stop. The funny thing is that moment of incoherence is when I should stop reading and start writing as a way to define/refine the parameters of my argument for the chapter. If after writing, the argument still feels weak, then start reading up again.

Rinse and repeat for consistency and flavor.

0 comments: