Thursday, December 28, 2006

Dissertating Daze

These past 3 days I was amazingly productive on my last chapter. I read 6 law review articles, 3 court cases, wrote 3 pages for my last chapter, and discovered a better argument to round out my second and third chapter. I'm not surprised considering teaching does take up so much time and energy by itself. As a matter of fact, it was a relief to be away from teaching and focusing on my immediate goal of just finishing my degree.

Oddly enough, at a moment when I am most productive, I'll be taking a short 4 day vacation to New York to visit some friends starting tomorrow. I'm quite excited to go considering I haven't been to New York since I was 4 years old and I barely remember anything. So I guess it'll be all brand new for me. But it feels like an interruption knowing that I'm on a roll and I should take advantage of it while it lasts even though I had planned the trip less than 2 months ago.

Don't get me wrong; I'm very excited to go and I will enjoy my time there. Nothing is easier than to forget about it writing a dissertation. As a matter of fact, there are hundreds of ways to avoid the drudgery of writing and researching. But there's still only one way to actually finish it which is to sit and write.

0 comments: