Tuesday, April 17, 2007

"Asian" or "Asian American?"

My friend over at Poplicks made this observation that he picked up over at Angry Asian Man. The shooter was Seung-Hui Cho, a senior majoring in English from South Korea. From the numerous reports, he is a legal resident of the US and his family resides in Centerville, VA. Now here's where it gets a bit dodgy ... He's 23 years old, but documents indicate he was living in the US since 1992. That's 15 years ago. That means he's been socialized as an "American kid" since he would've been 8 years old at the time he arrived to the US. So why are news agencies still calling him, seemingly at great lengths, a "legal immigrant" or a "resident alien?" Technically, he's "Asian American" or in Asian American Studies terms, he fits the classic 1.5 generation: foreign born, but raised in the US. There's very little to suggest that he's "foreign" in the recent immigrant sense of the term. He's just as American as the next kid. So what gives???

1 comments:

Sonia said...

The medias can be very my misleading when it comes to "sell" their news. When I first checked the CNN Web site and saw the headlines, I thought that the dude was a North Korean studying in the States on a student visa. But then I read the article and I learned that he was legally in the States since he was 8 years old, so he is American. So I thought "That's fucked up!" But you know what? I'm not surprised. Not surprised at all.

The media is a big part of the problem went it comes to racism, sexism, homophobia, biggotry and many problems we have in today's society.