Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Forever Queen!

So over the weekend, my partner and I were watching a special on the musical genius of Freddie Mercury, the lead singer of Queen. It was called Freddie Mercury: Magic Remixed, and it aired on Logo, the LGBT channel from MTV Networks. It was a really good documentary, a kind of "True Hollywood Story" biography highlighting the career and life. What I didn't know was that Freddie Mercury was born Farrokh Bulsara, of South Asian heritage(!).

That was a huge surprise! And it depicted Mercury's anxiety over his racial identity as well as his sexual one -- how he tried to hide it as much as possible, and his general reluctance to acknowledge it in public.

After watching the documentary, I went on YouTube to look for old Queen videos and I came across one that I remember very well. "Under Pressure" with David Bowie in 1981. My partner saw it and she said that the music video was shot in the style of an experimental film -- something to do with visual thematic repetition ... or something like that.

It demonstrated yet again that I am not a film theorist. But I like the video, and I do miss the music of Freddie Mercury and Queen.

0 comments: