Monday, May 14, 2007

The Internet Gives Me Life

I wanted to submit my final grades this morning, and at least get an early start on the day, but my internet provider went out. I would've just left it alone and hoped it would work itself out, but I had to call technical service. I couldn't leave my time to chance after coming back from writing. And so I called and went through the usual computerized interface, got transferred to a technical operator and waited ... and waited ... and waited ... until I finally got a human being to answer. I informed him that my internet service was out and that I did the usual troubleshooting (turn off the modem, wait 30 seconds, turn it back on, etc. etc.). He was polite and courteous.

And he told me to turn off the modem, and wait 30 seconds to turn it back on. *sighs*

After several more minutes of troubleshooting my home computer, he finally tested the line, contacted the local administrator, and finds out that the local network was experiencing a shutdown. It will take 3-4 hours before the service could continue again. My episode with technical assistance took over an hour.

I didn't lose that much time, but it certainly was an inconvenience in the morning. Maybe it was fortuitous because I looked over my final grades and I decided that I ought to have another round to be sure. The results still looked a bit dodgy.

0 comments: