Wednesday, March 26, 2008

The Three "R's"

The three "R's" ... Reading, 'Riting, and 'Rwhat?

A colleague of mine asked why my blog doesn't contain more of my theoretical writings on Foucault, Althusser, Butler, and Brown on topics in the law, race, power, and violence. In fact, he casually, though in a backhanded way, suggested my posts were a collection of "aimless meanderings." My "word choice" oscillated between the banal and the vulgar. It was a nice professional chat; nothing abrasive but as academic writing goes -- good ones anyway -- there's a thinly veiled and subtle critique about me.

Well here's my damn response. This blog is personal. It's not solely academic but it covers a range of interests, ideas, occurrences, and whatever else is on my mind. I write simply and plainly because it's easy and I enjoy being irresponsible with my grammar and word choice. I rarely write about the latest theory or detail my latest argument. I already spend enough time writing and theorizing at countless cafes or my office and for the explicit purpose of submitting to a journal or a conference. Furthermore, I do not get credit for publishing on a personal blog. It doesn't count. Besides, who am I trying to impress out here?

I have many colleagues who have blogs and they write about this and that theory and their take on it. They are a dime a dozen and that's absolutely fine. It's the internet after all and ultimately it's a choice.

I recall something Edward Said said when he gave a public lecture about his memoir, Out of Place, at Midnight Special Bookstore. He was chuckling at the severe criticism leveled by his usual detractors for what they believe are historical inaccuracies in Said's life. Go figure that nonsense. Someone else is disputing what really occurred in your own life. Said responded plainly and simply, "It's my memoir. If you don't like it go write your own."

0 comments: