Friday, May 16, 2008

Just when I think I'm out ...

... I get pulled back in.

This student just doesn't give up.

I'm sure you are sorry to hear from me again. I just figured I would try to ask you to reconsider your decision. I only do this because it is my belief that you have entered an incorrect grade. I have in my Microsoft Word 7 documents pertaining to the online assignments which were due weekly. To only have received credit for 5 of them is obviously in no small way my fault, but I think perhaps a small percentage of the fault lies with you as well. I mean you never posted a midterm grade for me and I never received my midterm back. There was never any official paper issued stating how we were doing in the class. I know I should have come and asked how I was doing, but I figured as long as I did well on the test i should be fine for the class. The fact that the online assignments count for so much I feel is kind of ridiculous. I don't want you to do anything you feel is underhanded or undeserved on my part, but I do ask that at least you consider the possibility that perhaps there are two assignments that somehow got lost in the shuffle. Thanks once again for any consideration you have put into this matter. Have a great summer.
I knew I should've just squashed this earlier like my instincts told me I should have. But now I can take my gloves off. Here's how I responded:
It's no bother at all but let me answer your central question from the start and that is I am not going to reconsider my decision.

In fact, rereading your emails raised additional questions that were quite puzzling. First, if you say there are missing assignments, then how come you did not bring that up when I sent out the weekly digests? The digest is there for you to not only read everyone's responses, but to confirm receipt of your submission. Did you not check? There were a few students who I indeed missed their assignments but only after they brought it to my attention. I do not recall any from you. Second, I understand the pressures of working on a job while still going to school and the reasons for taking one up mid-semester is none of my concern, but why did you not inform either your employer or me when it conflicted with the class schedule? Third, transferring to another institution requires some preparation and planning, but at what point did you find out you needed a better grade? This was equally puzzling. Fourth, I find the timing of your complaint about the weight of the online assignments rather suspicious. My syllabus describes the grading requirements that I covered on the first day of the semester. The online written assignments were the most easiest to accomplish and now you have a problem with the weight of it? I find this really amusing.

There was ample time after the midterm to check in with me, describe your goals and concerns, and I could've offered different solutions. There were quite a few students who were in some really difficult personal, professional, and academic situations. Two of them had close family members pass away suddenly. But they all took the initiative to inform me of their situations. I advised them, gave them options, and they were able to not only complete the course requirements but also did well for their final grade. In other words, all of this really boils down to a question of your personal responsibility. As a result, I fail to understand how your lack of initiative involves me.

For emphasis, I cannot and will not reconsider my final grade. But if you wish to continue to protest this then I suggest contacting the chair of PIA, Prof. Robert Dudley, to see if there are any additional options. Officially I have no further obligation in my capacity as an employee for GMU. But I'll be sure to forward our email exchanges to him for his record. Good luck!

0 comments: