Thursday, May 29, 2008

Surviving a Zombie Apocalypse

57%

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets



I found this link by way of The Other Dark Meat blog.

Yes, I have a 55% chance to survive a zombie apocalypse. There were some questions that I couldn't fudge like living in a metropolitan city and not owning a gun. My chances severely diminished because of that and I think for the right reasons ... somewhat. Being in a large city will probably yield a greater number of zombies roaming/running about while a small town will have less assuming it has any at all. But all you need is one zombie to start it all, that is, if you believe zombies are from passing a genetically engineered virus through some fluid transmission like saliva in biting, drooling, splattering blood, etc. Anyways ... so being in a small town can be just as bad as being in a large city if everyone in it was turned into a zombie. You can escape by leaving town, assuming the zombies are the slow lumbering kinds, but how long can you survive in the middle of nowhere? I'm thinking of Grinnell and it really is in the middle of nowhere. Now it is feasible that you could survive in a large city because of certain available resources that are no longer constrained by the rule of law. So choosing which building is important. Personally, I think the Pentagon might be the safest spot assuming that no one has been infected. But if you choose the wrong building, like a hospital, or you run out of supplies, then you're essentially trapped and your chances of surviving diminishes dramatically. That would be just as bad as being out in the middle of nowhere fleeing from a small town of zombies. It's just a different conception of being trapped.

I think not owning a gun lowers my chances to defend myself, but there are other weapons, strategies, and tactics that I can use. I do remember a question about my knowledge in making molotov cocktails, blunt weapons, and the like ... which incidentally increased my chances. But I think being in a large city might provide more resources to defend yourself if you have the opportunity to exploit them (i.e., food, weapons, shelter, etc.). Being in a small town, however, might diminish my chances especially if there are other survivors which will put a strain on limited resources.

Oddly enough, being holed up in a mall was somehow better than being at Walmart. I couldn't figure that one out unless it was some movie reference where some did actually survive in a mall. At any rate, I tried several times and my chances seem to hover anywhere from 54%-57%.

I can't believe I dedicated a whole post to my chances of surviving a zombie apocalypse.

2 comments:

zabel said...

You did well, I think. Better than me. Once these things trickle down to the masses I'm going to feel a lot better about my chances of staying alive through a zombie apocalypse.

Disoriented said...

Thanks for dropping by Hydralisk. Was that thing for real?! O.O