Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Page From NFL History

... or "Why I will never root for the New York Giants."

I thought I elaborate on my response to Rich's comment as a post. He originally said:

"What a game on Sunday, huh? Who would have thought, GIANTS and PATS in the Super Bowl?.....oh yeah, me and Rich.

I know you meant to say that you were rooting for the G-Men, so I'll forgive you on that one, but don't let it happen again!"
There is no doubt that this year's Superbowl will be historic as the Pats come within reach of the elusive "perfect season," one that was only accomplished by the Miami Dolphins in 1972. But that day is historic for another reason. Rich, you forget I'm still a die hard 49er fan, and let me remind you what this means ...

In the 1990-91 season, the 49ers were poised again for a Superbowl run, making it their third straight appearance. The "three-peat" was in the air. But in the NFC Championship, our glory was stolen by the scene stealing NY Giants. It was mainly a defensive game with the 49ers scoring the only touchdown when Hall of Famer Joe Montana connected with John Taylor. But "your team" of Neanderthals brutally knocked Joe Montana out of the game, and a relatively untested Steve Young took the reins as quarterback. We were minutes away from securing our place in NFL history to return to the Superbowl for a third straight time only to have "your team" pull a fake field goal for a first down. The Giants barbarians then cheated their way to a victory with Matt Bahr's 42-yard field goal ending the game with a score of 15-13.

The game also marked the departures of Ronnie Lott, Roger Craig, Eric Wright, Keena Turner, John Taylor, and sadly Joe Montana, among many others, in the following seasons. These stalwart warriors constituted the empire of the victorious 49ers of the 1980s.

I cursed at Bill Parcells. I raised my fists and swore a blood oath on that day. The NY Giants will suffer the indignity and humiliation of utter defeat. That day will come on February 3rd as the New England Patriots will decimate the New York Giants.

At last! I shall have my vengeance!!!

0 comments: