Wednesday, January 9, 2008

*YAWNS*

Bah! After Chicago, and spending a week with my partner's family in Wichita, KS, I arrived back in Arlington Washington, D.C., Monday night. Some quick highlights:

  • HOMECOOKED MEALS!!!
  • finished and sent off my article proposal to editors of a new anthology.
  • rewatched the first season of Heroes.
  • started watching the first season of Family Guy.
  • was bedridden with a touch of the flu.
  • continued editing my next chapter - about 80% done.
  • read three-quarters of David Simon's book, Homicide.
  • saddened to see Hawai'i lose to UGA.
  • thrilled that USC won.
  • laughed as Ohio lost another championship bowl.
  • developed my pictures from my Baltimore-Chicago trip (will post soon).
  • scratched my head as Huckabee won the Iowa primary.
  • surprised at Obama's victory at the Iowa primary.
  • scratched my head again at Clinton's and McCain's victory in New Hampshire.
  • bought a new ultracompact digital camera as a Christmas present.
  • woke up today with a ton of crap to do before the end of the week.

... more highlights to come. I got a bad headache.

2 comments:

ortho said...

I love Simon's Homicide. Will you assign it in your classes? Have you seen The Wire?

Disoriented said...

Hello Ortho!

I LOVE THE WIRE!!! I can't wait for this season to start, but I'm saddened that Simon announced it will be the last. It's going to be a sad day when the series finale airs.

I met Simon at a speaking engagement promoting his series and book at Politics & Prose Bookstore in Washington, DC. He's very smart, very cool guy.

I was brainstorming on a syllabus with episodes of The Wire as core texts. Can you imagine a class about Foucault's biopolitics, governance, and surveillance alongside lectures/discussions about Major Colvin's "Hamsterdam" and Baltimore city politics? How about discourses of criminality and race with the masterminds of Stringer Bell and Avon Barksdale? It'll be off the hook!

Sadly it's just an idea for now. I wish I could incorporate The Wire in my classes, but I just don't have the time. =/